Ōkami

Discuss other games. (Video games, tabletop games, etc.)

Moderator: Neamara

Growling Wolves

Ōkami

Post by Growling Wolves » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 am

Hello, i did not see a topic for Okami, so i decided to make one, sorry if there is one already.

Quote from Wikipedia (online free dictionary)
Ōkami has the player controlling the main character, Amaterasu, in a woodcut, water-color style, cel-shaded environment, which looks like an animated Japanese ink-illustration with other styles of art. The gameplay style is a mix of action, platform, and puzzle gaming genres, and has been noted by many reviewers to have numerous similarities in overall gameplay style to The Legend of Zelda series, an inspiration that director Hideki Kamiya, a self-proclaimed Zelda-fan, has admitted has influenced his general game design. The main story is primarily linear, directed through by Amaterasu's guide Issun, though numerous side quests and optional activities allow for players to explore the game world and take the story at their own pace. By completing quests, side quests and small additional activities (such as making trees bloom into life or feeding wild animals), Amaterasu earns Praise, which can then be spent to increase various statistics of the character, such as the amount of health and number of ink wells for Celestial brush techniques.

Combat is staged in a ghostly virtual arena, and Amaterasu can fight enemies using a combination of weapons, fighting techniques and brush methods to dispatch the foes. At the end of combat, money (as yen) is rewarded to Amaterasu, with bonuses for completing a battle quickly and without taking damage. The money can be spent on numerous items from merchants across the land, including healing goods, better weapons, tools and key items for completing quests. The money can also be used to buy new combat techniques at dojos throughout the land. Additionally, rare Demon Fangs can be earned through combat which can be traded for additional, unique items that are beneficial in gameplay but not required to complete the game. ] Weapons inspired by the Imperial Regalia of Japan, the Reflector, the Rosaries and the Glaive can be equipped on Amaterasu as either a main or sub-weapon, and used in addition to other melee attacks that the player can have Amaterasu learn through the course of the game
For more info on Okami, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%8Ckami
OR simply type in Okami, on google search.

okami is played for the PS2, which is the play station 2, and the Wii.
Last edited by paperpaws on Tue May 01, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title since it has been released on many more platforms by now

Alpha Aleu
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Okami, for the PS2, and Wii

Post by Alpha Aleu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Wow, I'm getting it!

Sarcastic
Utterly Great
Naughty ( :evil: )
Beautiful
Energetic
Artistic
Mystical

Sunbeam, Alpha of Blossom Wolves.

-----Aloha Aleu-----

Growling Wolves

Post by Growling Wolves » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:14 pm

XD its a wicked fun game, i hope you like it as much as i did =)

Blindseer
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Blindseer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:56 pm

it is apparently better for the PS2 than the Wii.

the wii they supposedly took some stuff out (and the cover for it was actualy art theft... it had IGN's watermark on it and was used without permission)
the wii version is also reportedly harder to control.

I have the Ps2 version and it was pretty fun.
icon by Rottenrobbie

Growling Wolves

Post by Growling Wolves » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Blindseer wrote:it is apparently better for the PS2 than the Wii.

the wii they supposedly took some stuff out (and the cover for it was actualy art theft... it had IGN's watermark on it and was used without permission)

oOo I didnt know that.

But yeah, i personaly to like the PS2 version better. I also heard it was harder to control on a number of other websites.

Tqik
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Tqik » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Yeah Okami is a really fun game. It's hard to find though (on PS2 that is), since something happened with Clover Studios. I really enjoyed it and I like it how the graphics are different from other video games. =]
The One Who Runs under the Full Moon

Rain_Swift-River
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Swift

Post by Rain_Swift-River » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:07 am

The only thing that I don't like about the game, is the peoples voices... It really gets to me... but other than that, I love the game... It's a lot of fun ^_^

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:24 am

I have Okami for the PS2. I got it about, oh, maybe 7 months ago?

It's a wicked game. The only part that annoys me, though, is when you have to defeat the giant block dudes in the dungeons.

And the voices get on my nerves sometimes too, but it does fit the mood of the game.
Last edited by SolitaryHowl on Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing spelling...
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Moonikinz
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Moonikinz » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:55 am

They didn't really remove anything but the ending credits because of some legal issues, other then that game is the same
Former Founder of Undine Falls Pack/Pack mascot
Former WQ moderator.

bloodspl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by bloodspl » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:26 pm

shadowwolf445 wrote:

They didn't really remove anything but the ending credits because of some legal issues, other then that game is the same

i like the wii version better cuz its kinda harder cuz u have to use the reflecter with a kind of rythem kinda thing :3 it makes fighting more challengeing :3

why did they take out the credits? DX i was wondering where it was...
Guardian
dont steal meh word!! haha :D

Starry63

Post by Starry63 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:16 am

I'm renting Okami for the PS2 from gamefly. I heard it's a very fun game and has amazing graphics.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:38 am

This game is awfully popular; I've never played it, but I've heard of it before, though I don't get it at all. At first I thought it was some kind of a spiritual wolf thing, where you float around as a wolf with funny markings in a brightly colored anime/manga type of world . . . and clearly, it's something similar to that, right? I guess I could try out this game, it looks fun and interesting, but I doubt I'd fall in love with it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... ompare.jpg

And I wonder: why didn't they use the realistic kind of animation? It looks so much cooler and better.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:40 am

Embry wrote:This game is awfully popular; I've never played it, but I've heard of it before, though I don't get it at all. At first I thought it was some kind of a spiritual wolf thing, where you float around as a wolf with funny markings in a brightly colored anime/manga type of world . . . and clearly, it's something similar to that, right? I guess I could try out this game, it looks fun and interesting, but I doubt I'd fall in love with it.

And I wonder: why didn't they use the realistic kind of animation? It looks so much cooler and better.
Well, the graphics they used for the game (in my opinion) fit the game. Basically, without any spoilers, the game is based upon Japanese mythology. I don't think realistic graphics would suit it, although I would like to see a remake with realistic graphics.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Ok@mi
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Ok@mi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:38 am

I totally agree that the PS2 version is better than the Wii. Someone told me you could turn into human form in the Wii, but I stopped them and said ya right! I'm on like my 8th round for the PS2.

Blightwolf
New Pack Member
New Pack Member

Post by Blightwolf » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:09 pm

SolitaryHowl2008 wrote:
Embry wrote:This game is awfully popular; I've never played it, but I've heard of it before, though I don't get it at all. At first I thought it was some kind of a spiritual wolf thing, where you float around as a wolf with funny markings in a brightly colored anime/manga type of world . . . and clearly, it's something similar to that, right? I guess I could try out this game, it looks fun and interesting, but I doubt I'd fall in love with it.

Well, the graphics they used for the game (in my opinion) fit the game. Basically, without any spoilers, the game is based upon Japanese mythology. I don't think realistic graphics would suit it, although I would like to see a remake with realistic graphics.

Maybe you're right; though I'd prefer playing the game with realistic graphics, I'm used to that (Resident Evil 4-5, Metal Gear Solid, Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed - - - etc).

I need to go stalk around at my local game shop and look for this game for PS2. :wink: I want so badly to try it.
AUGUST 2009 USER OF THE MONTH