Running WQ on a Mac?

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

thirteen889184
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Running WQ on a Mac?

Post by thirteen889184 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Hello all,

I play WQ on mobile but I'd really like to get it on a computer as well. My only problem is that I'm a poor college student and I only have a laptop. I currently have a MacBook Pro 13in. The processor is a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, and the memory is 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 but I'm not a very tech-savvy person, so I don't really know what any of that means, haha.

My main problem is that I use my laptop for school so I don't really want to do anything that will permanently slow it down to the point where my laptop doesn't work anymore. I'm hoping that i'll be able to get a new one either before this fall, or before next fall, but that's not for certain and I'd likely get a similar model because Macs tend to work better with my school's systems for online classes and such.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone plays WQ on their Mac, or if anyone who is better with computers would know if it would be possible to run the game. I'm thinking more in terms of when WQ 3 comes out, since I'd really like to be able to get the full experience of the game and not have to use it on my phone.

Thanks!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: Running WQ on a Mac?

Post by paperpaws » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:35 pm

It is possible to run WolfQuest on a Mac, and the fact that you've got a Macbook Pro is a good sign as they tend to be more powerful than other Macbooks. That said, none of them are designed with gaming in mind. Can you find out which graphics card your model has? The other specs you mentioned look just fine.
thirteen889184 wrote:My main problem is that I use my laptop for school so I don't really want to do anything that will permanently slow it down to the point where my laptop doesn't work anymore.
That shouldn't happen either way! Worst case scenario, the game will heat your computer up to the point of inconvenience (my Macbook Air can run some games just fine, but gets hot to the point I'd rather not). I think your best bet, both now and when WQ3 swings around, is to download the game trial and play around on there to see if your computer can handle it

thirteen889184
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by thirteen889184 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Okay, thank you!

My graphics is the Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB. I think that I will download the game trial, so thanks for the suggestion!

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:01 am

That's about the oldest MBP which will run the game, but it should work (I did a bit of testing on a similar MBP back in 2015). Get the free trial and try it -- but bear in mind that Amethyst is less demanding, graphically, than Slough Creek or Lost River. So you'd want the game to run quite well, albeit probably on the Fastest quality level. In the Game Settings, switch from 30 to 60 FPS and then toggle on Show FPS, and see what you get in Amethyst -- hopefully 40 fps or higher.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

alethe
Name: [REDACTED]

Post by alethe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:04 am

i don't know what year/os your mac is, but i can run wq on my 2010 macbook pro easily, provided its on one of the faster settings. my mac is older than dirt.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
ARE YOU A JEDI ?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ⋯⋯⋯_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

av/sig : fidd/lupe

thirteen889184
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by thirteen889184 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:51 pm

I was able to get the Free Trial running and it went pretty well. I could get it to work fairly well on Beautiful without it slowing down too much so I think that's a good sign. Fast and Good were both better, and they ran well. I was getting between 55-60 fps. I'm thinking that i'm probably good to go for the full game especially if I have it on a lower Graphics Quality setting. The only problem I had with it was the first couple times I tried to open the game, it would quit right after I had set the initial settings and pressed, "Play", but it hasn't done that since. And I have the Mid-2012 model and OS X Yosemite version 10.10.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:11 am

thirteen889184 wrote:I was able to get the Free Trial running and it went pretty well. I could get it to work fairly well on Beautiful without it slowing down too much so I think that's a good sign. Fast and Good were both better, and they ran well. I was getting between 55-60 fps. I'm thinking that i'm probably good to go for the full game especially if I have it on a lower Graphics Quality setting. The only problem I had with it was the first couple times I tried to open the game, it would quit right after I had set the initial settings and pressed, "Play", but it hasn't done that since. And I have the Mid-2012 model and OS X Yosemite version 10.10.
If the crashing hasn’t happened since, you’re probably fine. I’ve read about similar accounts of crashing from other users and it seemed like a re-install did the trick. If you have purchased the full game since then and you are finding that this crashing occurs on the splash screen, I would recommend reinstalling the game.

With the new information you provided, it indeed sounds like you can run the full game.

Because your original question has been answered, I will lock this topic.
Topic locked.