All the WQ Players Summed Up

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Latra

Re: All the WQ Players Summed Up

Post by Latra » Wed May 04, 2016 4:13 pm

I must agree that this does sum up a lot of players, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Sure it might not be the greatest to have some of these people around but that's just how people are and it adds variety. It also sometimes makes for great stories and memories. I honestly find having these people around enjoyable, what they say and do can be hilarious sometimes.
╔════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╗
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
ꕥ ❁ ꕥ —Mary Oliver ꕥ ❁ ꕥ
╚════════⁂════════⁂════════⁂════════╝

Quote / Av Shop

Silver Mist Wolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Silver Mist Wolf » Sun May 15, 2016 12:07 pm

Astrologer wrote:
Lakagigar wrote:
Abandoned Corpse wrote:The 'pro' or 'advanced role players': These people give descriptions of SOME words I don't even know. I'm not going to say much about these people, but it's hard for me sometimes to understand.
This is basically why I don't RP in games anymore. After 7 years or so of writing and RP I think I can calmly call myself an advanced role player, but all those difficult words? Why are they even using them? When it comes to writing, it's more about the way you formulate the sentences and the content of the text, not all the pretty and difficult words you can stuff in there. It's distracting and interups the flow if you have to take a second to remember what the word means or don't know their meaning to begin with. To add to that, in games you can actually just do some of the actions and don't really need to describe them in detail. Just mention it, add an emotion and/or reason for it and done xD
I have to say, I do agree with part of what you posted. I know English well enough to read some of the more complex works by some authors and by consequence, to spout back lines similar in their tone and verbosity. However, this does not mean I should.

There's people out there, who take pleasure in looking up new words and expanding their vocabulary. I know I do, whether it's archaic words, long words, short ones, etc. I love getting to know the definition of it. But we also have to acknowledge that not everyone is majoring in English Literature, has a dictionary beside them at all times or finds it fun to look up words at every interval.

Think about it, you're reading a book and you come across a word that you don't understand. In that case, you can underline it and look it up later, since you can comprehend the basic meaning of the sentence in context anyway, or, you can look it up immediately and I suppose reap the benefit of understanding the exact meaning.

Now here's the problem: this is a game, not a book. You're not writing the next Shakespeare or Ulysses. You can't underline words in a game. Sure you can write them down, but even then, you'd need the context in which they're in; the sentence or even the paragraph. It does indeed disrupt the flow of the roleplay when someone takes ages to answer because they're looking up all of those flowery words in your sentence, or they simply cannot understand and reply back with either nonsense or ask out-of-character what you meant.

I don't mean to force yourself to write in a lower level, but merely to take into consideration who you're roleplaying with. If you join into a roleplay where everyone is writing simplistic one liners, then how do you think they would feel when you slap down a huge chunk that sounds like it came right out of The Canterbury Tales? Now let's turn it the other way around. You shouldn't join a roleplay where everyone's writing in a very verbose style and simply mark down a meek sentence that stands out like ink on blank parchment.

The key is to know who you're writing for. You don't always have to "knock down" your language if you're with people who don't understand you. Sometimes all you have to do is follow George Orwell's advice and “[don't] use a long word where a short will do”. Don't over-complicate things and do take a more common approach. Most people don't talk to their friends in a very high standard of language, so take that level when roleplaying with people who have a lower level than you and be considerate of others. Something I would like is for people to mention their aptitude in roleplay before the actual act begins, then you know who you're dealing with and how to adapt.

A final thing I might add is that sometimes common words are simply better to use than to pull up a thesaurus for every single sentence. Not all of the words have to be different or shouldn't repeat. I think writers and roleplayers demonize simple words a bit too much. If you're more advanced than your audience, then you should try to engage them in a positive experience; show them that learning new words is fun. Do this by being legible and precise as long as they aren't afraid to think a little. You have to make sense to them in order to avoid losing the audience completely and appearing as pompous and a show-off.
Huge post sorry!

Anyway, I agree with each quoted post here. Flowery words are cool IF, and only if in my opinion, they are used sparingly. For example: "The grotesque, emboldened okapi-esque fiend locomoted from hither to yonder in a mere fifth of a millisecond."

Like, okay... I get the point bro. We're roleplaying, not writing a flowery poem. There's too much going on in that sentence. It's just big words to make you appear smart. And in the end, they don't. They make you look like a pompous know-it-all with a thesaurus on your lap. And there's quite a high chance people won't understand what you're trying to say, and if they do, then there's the smaller chance they won't want to roleplay with you any more because you're being a showoff or they're intimidated.

Small words are precise and to the point. Yes, I love sentences being spiced up with sparingly used flowery words. They're spice. Too much and your material is ruined.

Salt is good. A full shaker of salt dumped on something is not good.

avatar/signature © Jeames/twinlinskis

Celestial-Howl
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Alicia

Post by Celestial-Howl » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:50 pm

You also have the people (which I've seen a lot of in 2.7) who spend the entire RP describing one thing. I was in an RP for two whole hours and one of the players spent 3/4 of that time describing how their wolf was standing in a lake. The rest of us were trying to hunt but she just stood there RPing like she was writing a novel.
~ σиℓу тωσ кιи∂ѕ σf ρєσρℓє єχιѕт ιи тнιѕ ωσяℓ∂, тнσѕє ωнσ ѕтєαℓ, αи∂ тнσѕє ωнσ αяє ѕтσℓєи fяσм. ~

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Post by resanfray » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Celestial-Howl wrote:This may sound like stereotyping, but this is my list of all the annoying players you may encounter on WolfQuest. I decided to sum them all up in a nutshell. Enjoy! :D

The Mate Beggars: This person joins your game only to follow you around begging for you to be their mate. This clingy behavior is often seen by girls.

The Flirts: This type is mostly boys, they get into fights over the girls and constantly try to flatter you.

The Advertisers: These people jump into your game to steal pack members, they advertise their pack and server in all the wrong places.

The Power Players: These guys pretend they have superpowers, they often join Realistic RPs only to ruin them. Their wolves have things such as changing eyes, shape shifting abilities, and other crazy stuff.

The Drama Pups: These people join a game and ask to be a pup, when they are, they come up with the most dramatic tragic backstory ever heard. They claim they survived winter as a newborn after watching their parents get mauled by a bear.

The Poofer Fish: These people join a game, sit still, and then disconnect. They often repeat this many times after.

The Other Rps: These people create games that have nothing to do with wolves, many of them are human and supernatural creature rps. Followed by the horse and elk rps, these people need to learn what game they are on.

The RP Crazies: These guys join a game, ask if it is an rp, even if the title clearly states it isn't. Then they get flustered and leave the game.

The Boss: These people join a game where you are a leader, but they take over your game in a boisterous way. This causes many players to quit.

The "Super" Wolves": These wolves that join aren't mean, but fairly annoying. They come into your game acting normal, but end up saying they vaporized you at some point.

The SAVING Servers: These servers are created by people who have poor planning, they obviously don't know when their friends are online.

The Runners: I call these people the runners because they join a a game only to run away from you and your pack, then it is impossible to rally.

The Quiet Ones: These people join a server only to never say anything, yet they still follow you around.

The Lagger: These players are fairly normal, yet their game lags constantly so you can't hunt or do anything with them.

The Internet Problem Person: This kind of player is fairly normal, but their internet never seems to work, so they keep poofing in and out.

There are many more that I can think of, but if you have any or would like to relate, feel free to add!
:P
Alrighty. I know we all have some annoying wqers out there. But I am here to defend/clear up some of this.
I know none of you really mean to offend, but I was a little insulted I felt my opinion would be valid. While some of these I do agree with. Let's see now.

The Quiet Ones: This happens to me a lot. I'm in a server, and I know my messages are getting through but no one actually acknowledges me. Which is an interesting thing. So then we just put a cork in it. But I have seen others come in and not say anything what so ever. Could be a problem with the controls.

The Lagger: I live in the country and have crud internet connection, I can't help if I lag. I normally turn my settings on "Fast". You might be bored cause you can't do anything with me, but I'm livid cause I can't play the way others can.

The Internet Problem Person: Again the countryside is great and all but internet is not your friend. Trust me, I really really want to be in your server if I keep coming back. Yeah you're annoyed but you don't know the rage in my veins I have to keep repeating the same process for twenty minutes. Sometimes I have to stay still when I rp! It sucks man!

Anyways That's all I really gotta say about that. And those are my experiences.
Also a side note: All those rps that are titled oddly, Forinstance: Icecreamrp/TheOffice Are most likely a open server for a group of friends. With a unique name to keep others away but friends in!
Anyways that's just me. Cause I never see anyone ever talk about the other side. So I thought I'd share something! :3

Another side note: As a fantasy semi-literate roleplayer who encounters the 'power-player' it does greatly anger me as although I do have characters that are strong and with magic. It does misrepresent everything that I stand for as someone that still follows physical laws. A bite still hurts, a fall still cripples. So ya know, not all the people who like the fantasy ultimate stuff have mood eyes pink wolves and are invincible bear killers. I've been rping the same plot with my friend for 3 years and I can tell you when others come in and snark at us for not being completely realistic because we have some magic elements is mallarky.

Dragonbot
Pup
Pup

Post by Dragonbot » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:51 pm

Lol. I met a Semi-Mate Beggar once when i was using a boy character. She didn't directly ask me to be her mate but would not leave me alone!! And, when i was upset at her for siding with a lone wolf and screaming at the Alpha, she acted so surprised. She left during the RP though.
I RPed with a Power Player/Super wolf once. She was the Alpha. She was nice, but i have to say the most terrifying alpha ever. At one point we pretended that a patrol of enemy wolves entered our territory, and i believe she just instantly decapitated one then the rest ran. At least she was on my side...

There was one server where the leader (Solo) was AFK. Like... for forever. But i still sat there, not seeing anything better to do. Then four more wolves joined, Silver, Rain, Holly, and Lancer. Well... here is a shortened version of how it went:

Loki (me): Earth to solo.
Rain: *Throws bacon at solo*
Lancer: throws pancakes at loki
Loki: throws waffles at lancer

Aaaaand then we started throwing cars, trucks, trains, etc. I think that time, me and Lancer could be in "The Loonies" unfortunately. At one point i did have my wolf cautiously approach him wearing a gas mask, army helmet, and full body armor.
What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?

Siaka
Pup
Pup

Post by Siaka » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Ah, I remember a person who joined one of my RPs.

Here's how the conversation went.

Me: Can you provide me with an RP sample? (Because I hate RPing with people who say "climbs a tree" or "kicks a rock", etc.)
Person: MLP please
Me: Sorry, this is supposed to be realistic.
Person: Awww, pleaseeeee? I wanna be Twilight Sparkle

Yeahhh...
.:HEAR MY CALL:.
One wolf
One quest
One fate

Dragonbot
Pup
Pup

Post by Dragonbot » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:55 pm

DawnWolfRising wrote:Ah, I remember a person who joined one of my RPs.

Here's how the conversation went.

Me: Can you provide me with an RP sample? (Because I hate RPing with people who say "climbs a tree" or "kicks a rock", etc.)
Person: MLP please
Me: Sorry, this is supposed to be realistic.
Person: Awww, pleaseeeee? I wanna be Twilight Sparkle

Yeahhh...
Man. I've never had anything like that happen. What are they gonna do when their wolf starts starving? If their playing as a pony.... Wolves can't exactly eat grass.
What has roots as nobody sees,
Is taller than trees,
Up, up it goes,
And yet never grows?

wolfluvr101
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: Rexx

Post by wolfluvr101 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:16 am

I just threw myself in a few of the categories reading through all of these, but I have specific reasons. They all are so true though XD
The Quiet Ones: I have social anxiety so until I get the feel of a server, I usually don't say anything besides "Hi" when I enter. Once I have a feel for it, I almost never stop talking!
The Lagger: I have bad Internet, but I want to play, so I play. I actually do not lag that much, but when I do it is horrible!
The Internet Problem Person: Bad Internet. Usually I scream at my laptop I get so mad.
Chatterbox/Loonies: This is me and my friends. People come into a server we are on and have no clue what's happening. It's the best form of stress relief!

Here's one I've encountered that wasn't listed:
The Easily Offended: These guys get offended by anything and then threaten to report you.
Example: One girl joined the server my friends and I were on and started describing her fursona, the host said "It seems like everyone has a black wolf fursona." This girl got mad, accused us of being rude, ruining her birthday, and said that she was going to report all of us for harassment. When we asked how we were being rude, she accused us of being rude again to her.

I've encountered practically all of the ones mentioned. My favorite ones to lol at are the people who hunt alone or have to have the hunt go a specific way and will kick you if you do not listen to them.

Oh! Another:
Know-It All Newbie: The people who have only been playing for less than a month and think they know everything about the game and get angry when you try and give them correct info.

Had multiple people do that. I would give advice of how to cross pups, fight preds, etc. They would yell at me for being wrong, so I would sit back and watch them drown all their pups. Then they still got mad at me and blamed me for killing the pups. I've only had one game where when they messed up did they then ask me for advice and listened.
MP username: novasaurus
MP wolf name: Ylva

Xela Winchester
Pup
Pup
Name: Nova

Post by Xela Winchester » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 pm

Celestial-Howl wrote:You also have the people (which I've seen a lot of in 2.7) who spend the entire RP describing one thing. I was in an RP for two whole hours and one of the players spent 3/4 of that time describing how their wolf was standing in a lake. The rest of us were trying to hunt but she just stood there RPing like she was writing a novel.
Oh man, the describing over-achievers are the worst.

I've seen some people with wolf descriptions that are around 5-6 chat posts long. e_e
There were a few instances where these people would belt out their novel of a description as new players joined the chat, and it was absolute torture.
"Are you chasing something, or running away?"
-The Outsider, Dishonored

Siaka
Pup
Pup

Post by Siaka » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:04 pm

I've seen some people with wolf descriptions that are around 5-6 chat posts long. e_e
There were a few instances where these people would belt out their novel of a description as new players joined the chat, and it was absolute torture.
Ahh, I remember I had to endure those types of people. When a new player joined, they would start all over again. I quit the server after the third player joined :')
.:HEAR MY CALL:.
One wolf
One quest
One fate

Wolf_Huntress
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolf_Huntress » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Me in a nutshell.

Xela Winchester
Pup
Pup

Post by Xela Winchester » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:58 am

DawnWolfRising wrote:

Ahh, I remember I had to endure those types of people. When a new player joined, they would start all over again. I quit the server after the third player joined :')
Awful ain't it?
Honestly, I dread the entire describing process, despite the fact that my descriptions are relatively short and ready to copy/paste. I just don't like being bothered with it. >_<

I recently discovered the type of player I dubbed "The Idle Zombie." These people will come to a chat and run away from the spawn point, usually stopping in a hunting ground or in the middle of a field.
They might type up a short, illiterate RP post here and there, but most of the time they're silent, only occasionally moving their wolf.
"Are you chasing something, or running away?"
-The Outsider, Dishonored

44wolfquest
Pup
Pup

Post by 44wolfquest » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Because of my malfunctioning tablet, I am a "Poofer Fish", a lagger, an Internet Problem person, and a quiet one.
(`*°•._(`°•._*+*_.•°`)_.•°*`)
For the strength of a pack
Is the wolf,
°•.• WolfQuest •.•°
But the strength of the wolf
Is the pack
(·(·(·(·•·)·)·)·)

Signature by Black Burn

Selvin novaraptor
Pup
Pup

Post by Selvin novaraptor » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:50 am

Strange names

These person tend to name their pups in a weird way(TROLL, TURD, THEFATONE etc). But other than that, they're usually good.

Pup-Nappers

These guys always steal pups and raise them alone. They often fail to raise pups and some are easily offended.

Murderers

A subgroup of pup nappers. They drown pups or feed pups to predators.

Serious protecters
These people hate to see pups die and are easily offended. When a pup dies. They blame other players.

Moose addicts

Someone who seems to be addicted to moose searching or moose hunting. They're rare by now but very common when moose were first added to the game.

MotL addicts
a subgroup of moose addicts. They search for Floppy.

Slaughterers
A nightmare of elk. These people slaughter elks for bull elk/moose/cougar huntings or pup rearings. They're very useful.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Celestial-Howl wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:One time, during one of the first RP games I had ever joined....I encountered a 'wolf' who not only was incapable of dying or getting wounded in any sort of way, but also somehow managed to BACKFLIP off of a TREE, land on my wolf's back, and tear it to shreds with its claws. This was during a "realistic" wolf RP.

That kind of turned me off of RPs. I get that they are there for people to have fun, but when you insist that your character WILL NOT die (even after everyone gangs up on him) or that he will always dodge all attacks forever...its very annoying. Just admit defeat. The best characters have flaws.

LOL. I had a similar experience like that. I was hosting a RP and this guy just joined acting normal, but then he turned into this insane super wolf who vaporized one of my packmates, jumped off a cliff like a grasshopper and squashed a rabbit, dodged every attack, super-sped across the map, parted the river like it was the red sea, and then finally he decided to get wings and tear me apart with telepathy. I swear I'm not kidding.
I literally laughed out loud reading this post lmao.

I'm pretty much the Chatterbox type, sort of the Hunter type, kind of a MoTL Addict (Floppy never really gets old, and those games usually involve Floppy hunts as well as simply hanging out and chatting, which is nice), and also the Normal Player type if that's a thing. xD
Last edited by Windstrider on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The strength and the fellowship of the clan will always be with you, even when you hunt alone." - Warriors

==================================================

Good vibes

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”