Lost River Discussion [Spoilers]

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Re: [2.7] Lost River Discussion [Spoilers]

Post by PearlyReborn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:42 am

I have some speculation- So, we know BCE created Floppy/MotL, as evidenced by Dave. Additionally, on the newspaper, you can see the headline "Wolf recovery program deemed a "success"". But why is "success" in quotes? Maybe BCE was involved (we already know they were involved with animals) and did something to the wolves-something horrifying that might have forced the humans to leave the city? Maybe the "I fought the power and the power won" message referred to protesting the BCE experiments? Maybe BCE made the river disappear as well?

But the question is... What did they do to the wolves?

(This is just pure speculation)
To a new world of gods and monsters!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:44 am

Considering you play as relatively healthy wolves (unless you choose "Limpy"), I don't think the scientists did anything dramatic to them that would have forced humans out.

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:48 am

Koa wrote:Considering you play as relatively healthy wolves (unless you choose "Limpy"), I don't think the scientists did anything dramatic to them that would have forced humans out.
Doesn't it say your parents originally lived in Yellowstone and traveled to Lost River? (emphasis on traveled) You weren't involved with the BCE facility but the wolves from the local packs might have.
To a new world of gods and monsters!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:55 am

PearlyReborn wrote:
Koa wrote:Considering you play as relatively healthy wolves (unless you choose "Limpy"), I don't think the scientists did anything dramatic to them that would have forced humans out.
Doesn't it say your parents originally lived in Yellowstone and traveled to Lost River? (emphasis on traveled) You weren't involved with the BCE facility but the wolves from the local packs might have.
Fair point, but the local packs (at least the ones you have the option to choose your mate from) also seem healthy. Interesting theory, though. I would not be surprised if the backstory of Lost River involves the... shenanigans of the BCE facility.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:01 pm

I know this thread has been inactive for quite some time, but I would like to point out that I made an unofficial lore document a while back, and will likely continue to edit and add to it in the future. I do plan on adding more to it at some point, perhaps including some of the sinister things that may have been happening at the BCE Facility. Currently, I'm mostly waiting for WolfQuest 3 to come out to see if any drastic changes are made to Lost River before I add much more to it. Bear in mind that this document is entirely fanmade and is based on inferences found in the map, so it may be proven completely incorrect if the map is changed in future updates. This unofficial lore is loosely based off of the stories of the Chernobyl and Fukushima nuclear disasters, and is only my speculation. If you want to view the document for yourself, a link to it is below. If you have any ideas that you think would fit this unofficial lore well, feel free to PM me your suggestions, and I may take them into consideration for future additions to the document.
Link to document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C6U ... sp=sharing

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Lost River similar to Chernobyl?

Post by Zoopal55 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:12 pm

Ok, so I haven't posted in awhile as I have been busy playing and enjoying early access game WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition, however reviewing wolfquest 2.7 a sudden thought occurred when I was looking around Lost River. So in your best opinion does Lost River look like Chernobyl? You can see similarities in the map, such as an abandoned power plant facility, and the broken down amusement park like in Pripyat(City close to Chernobyl). Very fascinating. There are two similarities of Lost River and Chernobyl, an abandoned town with quite a bit of overgrowth. Comment below if anyone is interested in reviewing the map of Lost River, and its similarities to Chernobyl.

-Starbender2000 :wolf:

Note: Fascinating enough wolf populations along with other nature have thrived in Chernobyl.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: Lost River similar to Chernobyl?

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:54 pm

Wolfquest based Lost River off of Chernobyl :wolf:
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:40 am

In all fairness it's quite possible, and you may even be right. Clearly something radioactive went down in Lost River, if not then something quite similar. I haven't seen any pictures of Chernobyl as of late, but I trust your judgement. I'll have to study Chernobyl, but from what little I know and what you've just said, I believe you may be right, and if not then you're certainly on the right track.
¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤ Snake To His Father ¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤
▽ ▿
"We are monsters, rejects that nobody wanted. Now we want revenge for those who hated us and disgraced us. Soon all will see my family has grown stronger than if we'd stayed at our old homes, so much so that we may as well thank them!"

¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤¤÷(`[¤* *¤]´)÷¤
Sig–Black Burn

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:47 am

The thought's crossed my mind too. I heard that they based it off of whatever people want it to be - it was made with players' speculation in mind - but perhaps it was at least inspired by Chernobyl.
There are some decent clues that lead to this theory, too - there are some tanks with cracks in them
Spoiler
Show
(you get an achievement for climbing them)
, informative newspapers that give some hints, the BCE facility, and of course the ruler of Lost River, Floppy Moose (though she probably came in after Lost River's downfall and took over :lol: )
I've actually been fascinated with Lost River theories for some time, and this is the one that I think has the most evidence behind it. :)

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:16 am

I think the map is based on Chernobyl, I didn't notice the cracks in the tanks before, thanks for the incite! :D It does bring up a lot of questions, and I do love the floppy moose, I have only gotten to see this spectacle once, but it defiantly could be a result of radiation mutation. Thanks for the response!

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:33 am

You're welcome!
That would be a fascinating backstory - perhaps she is indeed floppy due to the mutation, or maybe she was naturally (or glitchily?) floppy, felt like an outcast, and found her way to the Lost River where she now rules as queen. :lol: :moose: Or perhaps the was the cause of the entire disaster! :shock: Though that's an entirely different theory and doesn't belong in this thread, I suppose.
I wonder if there will be new secrets to uncover in the upcoming LR. Perhaps they'll further back up the similar-to-Chernobyl theory.

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:44 pm

I can see the nods to Chernobyl being a sign of definite inspiration for the map, but these days I get more Flint, Michigan vibes when I play there. I doubt Flint was a specific influence or inspiration, but the water crisis began the same year WQ 2.7 went into development, so it does make me go HMMMM. The 'first the river now us' definitely strikes a cord of sorts.

Because of this I like to think of Lost River having a similar situation to Flint instead of Chernobyl. High levels of lead or some other chemical got into the river water and forced everyone to move away since it was so dangerous, since it kept getting worse or no moves to really fix it were being provided.
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:37 am

Loach wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:44 pm
I can see the nods to Chernobyl being a sign of definite inspiration for the map, but these days I get more Flint, Michigan vibes when I play there. I doubt Flint was a specific influence or inspiration, but the water crisis began the same year WQ 2.7 went into development, so it does make me go HMMMM. The 'first the river now us' definitely strikes a cord of sorts.

Because of this I like to think of Lost River having a similar situation to Flint instead of Chernobyl. High levels of lead or some other chemical got into the river water and forced everyone to move away since it was so dangerous, since it kept getting worse or no moves to really fix it were being provided.
I hadn't thought of that, but now that you say it, it sounds fairly likely (and, like you said, the timing sounds like more than mere coincidence).
Wouldn't the beavers who also now rule LR be dead, though, seeing as they live in those waters (and probably contributed to the river's disappearance)? I can still see how it would work, but how does the wildlife thrive if their source of water is poisoned? Perhaps they can withstand it.
Who knows - maybe both happened. It looks like there's evidence for both theories.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:35 am

That is an interesting theory Loach! At least with respect to the timing of the game and the events in Flint.

But regarding Flint's situation and the survivability of wildlife, I have some insights. I recently watched the documentary "Fahrenheit 11/9" (2018) by Michael Moore--very entertaining, I recommend it--which prompted me to look into the event more, as the Water crisis has fallen out of the media's spotlight over the years. In 2019, the effects are being played out in policy changes and charges, and in the health of the residents who lived through it.

The source of the lead contamination in Flint's drinking water was not the Flint River itself, but how it was improperly treated, which caused aging pipes to corrode faster and release lead during the treatment and delivery stages. Although the river wasn't exactly pristine to begin with from industrial pollutions, it isn't harmful to wildlife who come into contact with it:
The water in the Flint River has high levels of chlorides (thought to be the result of, in part, road salt), making it highly corrosive to lead pipes.[8] Chlorides do not pose a direct threat to fish, wildlife, or humans, but cause problems because they corrode lead and other metals in piping and plumbing.[9] A study conducted by Virginia Tech professor Marc Edwards, a leading authority on water quality, showed that the Flint River water corrodes lead pipes at 19 times the rate of water piped from Detroit.[8]
Source

With respect to lead, animals (including people) can survive with elevated lead levels, but the potential detrimental effects to the body are serious, especially if the exposure occurs when you're young and the brain is still developing. It can lower IQ and alter personality in severe cases! Some people in Flint did die (12 of them), and others developed Legionnaires disease. There were some web hits for Flint pets having lead blood poisoning too. I am willing to bet that the next decade or so will bring forth more accounts of the bad health effects of this long-term exposure, similar to 9-11 and the on-site rescue workers.

But as far as Lost River goes, I don't think significant inspiration could have been taken from Flint, since the river itself wasn't poisoned with lead, and people didn't abandon/evacuate during the crisis to a large scale. Whether that was due to poverty or denial from Flint's government, I am not sure.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Never really meant it as a theory haha. Just the vibes I get playing on the map itself and that the timing always strikes me as odd. I live near Flint, so I get a more emotional connection to it than Chernobyl - which is likely the actual reference/inspiration for the map.

Water crisis was with pipes but it was the switch to Flint River as the source that sort of started it all. There was a big fuss over it in the beginning. Flint River. Flint. Flint River Flint River, water water. Memory is fuzzy but newscasters usually said "water source from flint river" more than "corroded pipes and poor treatment causing poor quality drinking water". So the river itself is very prominent on my mind, tbh.

"First the river now us" - more 'first the river tainted, now our own homes' when I read it.
But as far as Lost River goes, I don't think significant inspiration could have been taken from Flint, since the river itself wasn't poisoned with lead, and people didn't abandon/evacuate during the crisis to a large scale. Whether that was due to poverty or denial from Flint's government, I am not sure.
It's a combination of nowhere to go and no money to get there. Among other things.
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”