Fighting stranger wolves? (3.0)

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Fighting stranger wolves? (3.0)

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:24 pm

What are some tips you guys have when it comes to fighting stranger wolves in WolfQuest 3.0? I came across one stranger wolf, I believe he was a wapiti male. It was hard killing him, and he interrupted my meal haha. I had barely any health left once I killed him, and I can't just imagine escaping a pack of stranger wolves :shock:
Post screenshots of your encounters with stranger wolves if you'd like too.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Re: Fighting stranger wolves? (3.0)

Post by Phasoli » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:34 pm

My experience with stranger wolves has been pretty thrilling, haha. I've killed one once, but only with the help of my mate. Fighting lone wolves seems to be a lot easier than scaring off a group, I agree. Even then, I tend to flee from fights in general.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

Rebela
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Rebela

Post by Rebela » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:07 pm

I've fought a few stranger/pack wolves myself!

It's always much easier with a bold mate as they'll help you deal damage, but there's usually two ways of going about it.

- Do confident gestures with minimal growling, since growling can raise their meter to fight if you're not careful. Your mate growls a lot so she/he can get you into trouble if you both growl too much instead of doing better confidence displays like tail up, confident wag, tail straight, barking, or ears perked. Sometimes, if you time it right, you can prevent a fight and both parties lose interest, remaining unharmed!

--- or ---

- Bite the wolf and fight for your life! Biting them makes them instantly want to kill you. Wolves are fight or flight animals, so the only time the stranger wolf will give up a fight is if it's on low health and it's fear meter rises. I always chase them down and kill them if it gets that far anyways, just to reduce the pressure of the pack in that area.

If you want to fight stranger wolves, howl and they'll come to you :P
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
SteamDeviantARTToyhou.se

Atiesh
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Atiesh » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 am

Easier way to find pack wolfs on their territory is to sleep there avoiding a warning. They will disturb your sleep and may come in number of one to three wolfs. Never seen four and more at one time. Whenever they appears they don't give me time to react and instantly attack me. So it's good to fight first and get an advantage. With mate it's easy to win a fight with two pack wolfs

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 am

Atiesh wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:23 am
They will disturb your sleep and may come in number of one to three wolfs. Never seen four and more at one time.
I have encountered a group of four pack wolves before (twice, I think), and it seems the only sensible option is to run, even on easy. One time I decided to see how long I'd last against them. Inevitably, the pack wolves attacked, and by the time they let go, my wolf's health bar was really low. The problem is, the same wolf can attack you multiple times because the others can hold your wolf still until it comes back.
┌────────────────┤├────────────────┐
When the sky is clear and day has turned to night,
the land is touched by a beautiful moonlight.
└────────────────────────────────────┘

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:08 am

I love fighting stranger wolves, I can fight off one or two depending in whether I have a mate or not.
Edit: something has mysteriously reduced the junction butte territory to one hexagon! It was not me nor other stranger wolves because i found no scents and there was no blue or red territory near it either. Maybe a cougar did it? (I found a carcass of a wolf killed by a cougar) But how could one cougar take on an entire pack? If anyone has the answer to this mystery I would be grateful. :)
Last edited by elkhunter123456 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:12 am

A lot of it is strength in numbers. When I fight stranger wolves, I try to keep a 1:1 OR 2:1 (the former being myself and my mate) ratio, so if I have a mate and two wolves attack, then there's a fair chance of survival. I haven't tried fighting a group of three wolves yet. Once it was a two-against-two fight and my mate actually died (permadeath activated, unfortunately), so I'd say there's a 50% chance of survival in a 2:2 fight.
Thankfully, you can always run if the odds are looking dire, so keep that in mind... and I'm guessing the new stats system that's coming soon will also add to - or subtract from - your chances.
In summary, I'd say a lot of it depends. That aspect might not be terribly helpful, so I'll throw in another tip: Know when to let go of the wolf you're attacking if there's another wolf involved. Otherwise that wolf will pile on to you and your health will deteriorate, of course.
So, in other words, your survival in a wolf fight hangs on:
- The number of wolves you have with you
- The new stats system
- How much health you have
- Your tactics (make sure to get a good bite before letting go, but if you're risking your own health, let go as soon as possible if you see another wolf coming your way)
- I forgot to add the game mode. Accurate is, of course, going to be very difficult. Challenging... chances are a little higher... Easy, the name says it all (though there is of course a chance of death even then).
I hope this was helpful, even if it was mostly just "It depends" over and over. :D

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”