What's your Wolfquest 3 Mate Like?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: How do you judge dispersal's?

Post by elkhunter123456 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:06 pm

My wolf Snow (a pure white wolf) just got a mate that fits all his requirements! she has 3 stars and shes a black wolf with a dull orange marking on her stomach. and i named her Raven. They became offical mates after howling on a cliff. But when slough creek comes im going to have to be less picky about mates that way it wont take super long to get to slough creek.
EDIT:moments later raven plummeted off the cliff. good thing mates dont take fall damage. if she ever dies i would mourn. and I almost never mourn when a mate dies. ill do my best to keep my perfect mate safe
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:57 pm

elkhunter123456 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:06 pm
My wolf Snow (a pure white wolf) just got a mate that fits all his requirements! she has 3 stars and shes a black wolf with a dull orange marking on her stomach. and i named her Raven. They became offical mates after howling on a cliff. But when slough creek comes im going to have to be less picky about mates that way it wont take super long to get to slough creek.
EDIT:moments later raven plummeted off the cliff. good thing mates dont take fall damage. if she ever dies i would mourn. and I almost never mourn when a mate dies. ill do my best to keep my perfect mate safe
I turned off mate permadeath in case I found a wolf I really liked. I wonder what the outcomes will be for black x white or black x light gray. Some of the pups will carry Kk though, and KK is fatal, but it's a good thing it'll only be Kk lol. I think I know the pattern Raven has. My mate has the exact same pattern but it's more faded.
(Also if you want a really small litter find a black wolf with the lowest diversity and also become a black wolf yourself lol)
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm not overly picky about mates. So long as they help me hunt the harder prey (Spike Elk, Cow Elk etc) and aren't too noisy (excessive howling hurts my ears if they have one of the louder howls) then they're good enough for me.

I do tend to cater mate choice to the "personalities" of my individual wolves, though. Loach, for example, is not the most social wolf. She's the one that picks up the food pieces and eats them some distance away, etc, but she is bold and will interact with friendly wolves without much fuss. So the best fit for her is a wolf that is similar, not very social. She mostly targets calves so a wolf that is equally bold or not too cautious for hunts to help with other prey animals she can't get on her own is also ideal.

Then there's Softtrot who is cautious. He always looks for the prey that is easiest to kill and backs off quickly if it's too risky. Social but is the type that warms up to others over time. Likes to roam. A more bold, social and energetic mate would suit him well, since he'll get the interaction he needs to trust and also have good backup for all his little plans and schemes.

Gives a nice sense of experience for when I play by looking for what my wolves want or need instead of just what I personally prefer.
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:49 am

When selecting a mate I usually consider diversity, how they react to my wolf's actions, and how they pull their weight in hunts. However, when I am not playing in accurate mode, I am much less fussy and may accept a useless hunter, so long as they are willing to assist in fights against competitors.
Last edited by Zawki on Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
┌────────────────┤├────────────────┐
When the sky is clear and day has turned to night,
the land is touched by a beautiful moonlight.
└────────────────────────────────────┘

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:13 am

I can't tell if I'm horribly picky or if all the wolves I've found are just extremely lazy. Within the first ten seconds they're sitting down or, worse, lying down and I end up running off at their first sign of laziness. So maybe it's a bit of both.
One of the first wolves I found was pretty good (he and his brothers had no hesitation to raid my elk carcass) and was very bold. The only problem was, we hadn't hunted ANYTHING before the affinity went up all the way. I still didn't know if he was a reasonable hunter or not, so I didn't end up choosing him. Then I never saw him through the entire map again and everyone else was lazy, unfortunately.
Later, I fought a wolf and all this one dispersal did was watch (thanks a lot, dispersal wolf :? :lol: ). So I evidently can't find any wolf that is bold or energetic.
Anyway, back to the original point, the ideal characteristics of a dispersal wolf would be...
1. Doesn't even sit down during the courtship -
2. ... unless he redeems himself during hunting, though if the wolf sat down enough during courtship, it probably didn't even make it to the hunting trial.
3. Preferably attacks cougars and grizzly bears without hesitation, though of course not when its health is incredibly low. If that's not proof of boldness, I don't know what is.
4. Acknowledges my existence by not staying as far away as possible when eating ("Honestly, why is this meat chunk on the carcass? It belongs as far away from you as possible!")
5. Friendly-ish. Sort of ties in to 4 - bothers to socialize.
6. Oh, and of course no KK genetics. Most of my wolves are gray, anyway, so I seldom have that to worry about. Pity all the four-star diversity wolves are lazy, though.
So I suppose I just look for the typical ideal traits - energetic and bold. Those are the two that matter most, especially seeing as pups will likely rely on better traits.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: What's your Wolfquest 3 Mate Like?

Post by Koa » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Merged with similar thread.

Cosno
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Cosno » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:02 am

My mate Canyon is a great mate. She always helps with hunting and frightening off other animals. She also likes to chase them lol

spruce56
Pup
Pup

Post by spruce56 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:47 am

Can't wait for Slough Creek, this ginger wolf is the prettiest dispersal I've found so far. And they sat together perfectly for a photo!

Genetic diversity is only 2 stars, but oh well.

Edit: huh, I think he must be max bold - he chases off bears and one time, three stranger wolves at once. Crazy - but the bears and wolves ran away from him. Yay Jasper!
Last edited by spruce56 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:27 am

Currently, I'm playing as a male named Fennim, and I probably just went through my longest mate trial yet. But I got her. :P

She's bold, a little bit too bold, likes to help with hunting and also likes to try to get herself killed as she messes with bears about twenty feet away while I'm trying to catch a hare. I named her Oviya (oh-VYE-uh), and she's the boldest loner I've ever had!
She likes to sleep ten feet away from me (but I do happen to like close-sleepers better), and she's... I don't remember if it was three stars or four stars diversity, but I think four stars, because our coats are very different and I usually pick four-star wolves anyway. Fennim's coat is red, white and grey --Oviya's is rusty red and black.
She also likes to sit a lot. A lot.

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”