[3.0] Hunting: General Discussion

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Hunting in WolfQuest 3

Post by elkhunter123456 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:03 pm

To answer your question, I don't think beavers or bighorn sheep have been released yet. My favorite animals to hunt are spikes and cow elk. :D My favorite improvements are the new bite points and the herding.
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf
cougar
bear

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Re: Hunting in WolfQuest 3

Post by Mwitu » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:10 am

elkhunter123456 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:03 pm
To answer your question, I don't think beavers or bighorn sheep have been released yet. My favorite animals to hunt are spikes and cow elk. :D My favorite improvements are the new bite points and the herding.
Oh! Thanks; and I'm guessing beavers will be more prevalent in Slough Creek when they're released. That's even more to look forward to. :)
I need to try hunting spikes; cow elk, I can manage with a good amount of health.
I like the bite points too, and the new difficulty. I like looking for the ones that have the least amount of health - it adds challenge and strategy to hunting. :)

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Hunting Elk in Wolfquest 3

Post by roguemoon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:12 pm

I'm loving elk hunting so far! Running amongst the stampeding herd is fun and exciting, and I personally haven't found hunting too tricky, it just takes timing and patience and occasionally a bit of risk. Personally I find hunting cows takes a bit less tactic than cows, you just have to take more care to not get kicked. I managed to kill a bull with my mate and felt like I really earned it! Dragging the big bull down at the end is so dramatic and intense, made hunting really exciting. I also feel like it really evens the odds against prey in single player- it's no longer a game of managing your health but instead takes strategy to succeed!
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Zebbaby
Pup
Pup
Name: Zebbaby, Zeb, or Zeb

Post by Zebbaby » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:57 am

Aaka2013 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:50 pm
I have found the herds but for some reason when i go to bit them it wont bit any tips on what i should do

Hi! I was having some trouble with this at first as well, but it seems that if you are chasing behind an elk, you have to be pretty close to it to actually bite but as soon as the mouth icon shows up, if you hold down space, your wolf will put on a little burst of speed to help get you there.

If you're hunting an elk who is facing you, get close and press-and-hold space in order to latch onto its neck. If you notice your wolf is sort of crouching instead of biting, press and hold space again and it should latch on.

Post Merge
Cosno wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:47 am
Sadly none, I am really excited about the game being released but I have a low-end pc. And even on lowest graphics the game runs at only 10 or less fps.
I can play for a while but after a few minutes it lags so badly that the audio is actually stutters/lags itself. I really wish I had a good computer to run the game...
You actually don't need to get a whole new computer. You can buy a graphics card that should help with the performance of the game for about 30-60 U.S.D. I would watch a YouTube video on how to install it, though.
Last edited by Neamara on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post. Please review the Forum Guidelines.
"Crazy,is the bravery and willingness to let one's creativeness, liveliness, and bravery bleed through without being afraid to face the consequences..

Insanity, is what happens to those who are too scared, and let the craziness run around inside them like the Tasmanian devil"

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Merging with WolfQuest 3.0 Hunting: General Discussion.

TacticianLyra
Pup
Pup

Post by TacticianLyra » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Zebbaby wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:57 am
You actually don't need to get a whole new computer. You can buy a graphics card that should help with the performance of the game for about 30-60 U.S.D. I would watch a YouTube video on how to install it, though.
You unfortunately do if you have a laptop, since everything is integrated. External graphic setups are a lot pricier than a new computer.

As for my own hunting strategies...I just keep biting until whatever it is dies. Then again I stick firmly to Easy mode.

Shye
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Shye

Re: [3.0] Hunting: General Discussion

Post by Shye » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:50 am

I've recently started to try hunting in accurate mode and I've only made one successful kill so far; which was an elk calf. Everything is so much harder my gods. I can't hunt an adult elk on that mode, on my own it has to be a calf it seems. I've also had to learn that I need to abandon a hunt when it's going sour - either I'm just down on my luck landing blows, or some pack wolves have come to ruin my hunt by hunting me. I've found it so hard to just accept it and hightail it outta there. Usually on easy I could just turn round, kill the pack wolves, then continue hunting my young stag elk but on accurate? Nahhh, run away with your 90% health loss or you dead. Their howls of victory are so irritiating!

It's only one kill and I lost 75% of my health doing it but here's what I did: To kill the elk calf I need to pick the one with the lowest health of the herd, or I'm more likely to fail. Once I've finally chosen the right calf after biting all of them I herd it and it's mother to a more level and open area so I'm not bumping into trees all the time. After one big bite typically the showdown starts, so I circle them, growling a lot, until eventually -eventually- the calf gets too spooked tries to make a dash, so I give chase and land at least 2 bites; never more as the mother will come charging and deliver 3 hoof-fuls of -132 health - I need to guarantee escape, but oh my gods is it hard to let go, I just want it over with but no, I need to be patient, and hope no loners or pack wolves come over for a fight. Then finally it dies! I eat my meal and sleep, only to be attacked by a pack of coyotes.

Other than that, It's been enjoyable; my wolf Knight got to run through a thunderstorm which was pretty awesome!

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:41 pm

I play on the accurate settings, and I take advantage of my extra deadliness. XD
And within accurate settings, I must admit, it's easier to take down adult and spike elk rather than calves, unless the calf is already wounded to begin with or it glitches into a place the mother can't get to but I can (yes, this has happened, and it was glorious).
When hunting elk calves, though, when the mom keeps hiding the calf behind her and it's getting harder and harder to split them, I back off far enough so that they start running for the herd again and then I charge after them. This strategy makes calf hunting a lot easier. ...It's also why I like to stay single for a long while, because this strategy gets really hard when you have a mate with you.
I also have killed a mother mule doe, and then after I ate, I followed the orphaned fawn until the next day, where we arrived at the opposite side of the map we started at and we were pretty much travelling side-by-side. It made for some really cool screenshots. Then I betrayed my new friend and ate him for dinner, and boy, did he taste like chicken.
I've never killed or even attempted to even mess with a moose, though, calf, cow or bull. Sometimes I stare at them a long time as they pass by and snort at me, but then I move on when it starts trying to kick my mate's butt, literally. But I do have one thing to brag about --more like two things --on two different occasions, I have successfully killed grizzly cubs! And on those both occasions, they were revenge because the mother killed my mate. Which would also mean that I killed the cub alone. woot!

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:31 pm

I agree with TimberRaven! I get way less beat up hunting adult elk and deer. If there isn't an already weaker calf in the herd I'll usually go for an adult. My proudest accomplishment however was probably getting to take down a moose calf!
"No matter where they are, the restless imagine being somewhere else."

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”