[3.0] Courtship: General Discussion

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

[3.0] Courtship: General Discussion

Post by Mwitu » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:27 am

I heard that you can actually convince a member of a rival pack to become your mate. Has anyone managed this yet? If so, how do you do it?
If you haven't done this yet, which pack would you aim to convince?
I'm really interested in trying this out, but haven't managed yet (but I have managed to get attacked in the attempt several times :lol: ). Any tips?
Thanks!
Last edited by Koa on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged with similar thread, title changed

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Re: Convincing Rival Pack Members

Post by Loach » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:09 am

Certain members of the packs are eligible to become your mate. They behave much like regular dispersals and have the diversity pop up + the heart over their heads, so they're easy to spot and differentiate between pack wolves you can't become mates with.

The challenge with courting pack wolves isn't so much the courting part (as it's pretty normal, in my experience), but the other pack members. Sometimes hostile pack members are traveling with the ones that are interested in you, and you either have to fight them or try to work around them.
DeviantArt
returning member from ancient times

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:28 am

Loach wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:09 am
Certain members of the packs are eligible to become your mate. They behave much like regular dispersals and have the diversity pop up + the heart over their heads, so they're easy to spot and differentiate between pack wolves you can't become mates with.

The challenge with courting pack wolves isn't so much the courting part (as it's pretty normal, in my experience), but the other pack members. Sometimes hostile pack members are traveling with the ones that are interested in you, and you either have to fight them or try to work around them.
Oh! I see. So where it says the pack they're from, it'll say it's a pack from the map, I'm assuming (like Wapiti instead of 8 mile pack or Beartooth or any of those), and they'll probably roam deep inside the territories instead of on the outskirts?
I guess I've seen wolves like that after all. This is quite nice, actually; now I won't get attacked repeatedly trying be friendly/submissive to aggressive pack-members. :D
Thanks for the clarification! :)

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Loach » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:20 am

They aren't deep in the wolf territories, honestly. So long as you're within the wolf pack territory, you can run into them.

I recently ran into a couple of lamar pack members interested in me, for example, and I was in a more faded grid space of the pack. Hunted some elk, went to sleep, woke up and had a pop up that said pack wolves interested to be my mate are near.

Wasn't at a high enough health level to contest with the hostile sibling that was with those two interested wolves, but they are there.
DeviantArt

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Oh, interesting. They're just generally prevalent in the pack territories in general, then?
Is the courtship message different if they're not technically dispersals?

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Loach » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:31 pm

The text pop up is different than dispersal wolves, yes. It says pack wolves, and mentions leaving their families to start a life with you.

But other than that and potential hostile members of the pack potentially getting in your way, the gameplay is about the same.
DeviantArt

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Courtship?

Post by Rustic » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:01 am

Been awhile since played WolfQuest 3 (sorta got addicted to the Isle lol) but I started a new game yesterday & I know there was an update since I played last which leads to my question. When the strangers approached while sleeping & I got the message regarding courtship & use E to open emotes panel same as when played before but I didn't really get a chance to interact with them as they ran off. This happened several times so not sure if something has changed or if these guys were just more submissive than the previous mate I had.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: Courtship?

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Recently, I courted an amazing black high-diversity male ((not trying to brag but lol)). He, and his sibling did run away but only when I charged/ran after them, so I would suggest to approach them more slowly, and wait for them to come to you. Every potential mate has a different personality. The dispersals you encountered were probably skittish, and they require more patience than compared to a bold wolf. Just to give you some perspective, my mate is a bold wolf but he is a loner as well. I would treat cautiousness and anti-social the same.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Ok, yeah could just be then that they were more cautions than the prior mate I had.....I will keep that in mind when trying again tonight. Wish the controller settings were a little better...or maybe it's just due to the button I have the walk/run bound to but I am sometimes running when I want to be walking so that also could have contributed...though I believe the one time I didn't move at beyond getting up from a lying down position after sleeping and they still ran off...but if they were very skittish perhaps they were already spooked. I just found myself yelling at the screen on time that why do you keep seeing me out if you're just going to run away :shock:

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:39 pm

I believe that you need to show that you are not going to be aggressive towards the wolves before you can enter the main courtship, otherwise they don't let you get close to them. A couple of play bows tail wags and grins should do the trick.
Life is full of death
It is the way of life
Predator and prey
I bring life and I take it
That is the way of nature

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:06 am

As the others have said, they were probably just excessively cautious. I ran across something similar to this one time, though it was the opposite - the wolves were too bold! I had a carcass (on which they feasted without hesitation - or my permission, at that :lol: ), and some coyotes were nearby. Every time I would start using emotes toward one of the wolves, it would be for naught. They would run to chase the coyotes (perhaps in a heroic act of courage) and completely leave me behind. A trio of excessively bold wolves! So this seems to summarize that if the wolves are too bold or two cautious, they're more likely to run off (although they may come back) without warning.
Another time, one of the wolves disappeared. So I looked around and saw him attacking a cougar with no provocation. :o
Anyway, I figured that was relevant. :)

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:04 am

Thanks all...will keep at it then.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:19 am

I just realized I never replied to this!
By now I've run across several Pack Dispersals (if that's what they could be called). Thanks for the information! :)

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: [3.0] Courtship: General Discussion

Post by Koa » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 pm

Merged with other similar thread (but leaving the "judging" thread alone... for now).

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: [3.0] Courtship: General Discussion

Post by elkhunter123456 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Heh, I just realized that if you growl at a courtable wolf ONCE, then it (and its siblings) will growl back or avert its gaze. when a dispersal growls at me after I growl at it, I don't know whether to think thats infuriating or adorable :? . I also noticed that 2 dispersal packs will be more likely to fight each other if there is 1 wolf in each dispersal pack.

Also I don't know if this thread was merged with one of my threads (not the judging one) but if it is, I really hope this doesn't count as double posting. Also i'm also not sure if I commented on the thread this thread was merged with. My apologies if I did. :oops:
prey:
hare
beaver
mule deer
elk
moose
competitors:
raven
eagle
fox
coyote
wolf