"Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Discuss wolf conservation and status.

Moderators: Isela, Koa

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12998
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

"Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by Koa » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 am

Just came across this article... :/
On July 6, law enforcement officials from Arizona Game and Fish Department recovered the body of Mexican Gray Wolf. The carcass was found near Big Lake in the Apache and Sitgreaves National Forests.

The carcass is that of AM806, an adult male wolf that was released into the Blue Range Wolf Recovery Area in 2006. The recovery area includes 4.4 million acres in the Gila National Forest in New Mexico and Arizona’s Apache National Forest.

This is the third wolf death documented within the recovery area this year.
Full article :
http://kunm.org/post/mexican-gray-wolf-found-dead-arizona
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Sintact
Guest
Guest

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by Sintact » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:52 am

Do they know the cause of death of the animal?

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12998
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by Koa » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:19 am

Sintact wrote:Do they know the cause of death of the animal?

Not yet. They're sending him to a forensics lab for his body to be checked. I'm curious to see as to why he died... don't think they mentioned any gunshot wounds so it was probably something else.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
CrystalsAndSwords
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:33 am
Gender: Female
Location: U.K.

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by CrystalsAndSwords » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:05 am

Maybe a disease killed him or was there some sort of injury? If there was, it may have been attacked by another animal, harmed in a hunt or hunters could have used a new technique instead of using guns. Who knows.
av. lupinz

User avatar
Edme1
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 681
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:47 pm
Gender: Female
Location: SUMMON THY WARHAMMER OF ZILLYHOO
Contact:

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by Edme1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:09 pm

I hope it was a natural cause, such as a disease or wild predator. Hopefully we don't see too many more reports of unknown wolf deaths.
Bustin' makes me feel good~

"Advance or a8scond!"

♋ ♈ ♉ ♊ ♌ ♍ ♎ ♏ ♐ ♑ ♒ ♓

http://blueranyk.deviantart.com/
Av from Homestuck

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12998
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by Koa » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:58 pm

CrystalsAndSwords wrote:Maybe a disease killed him or was there some sort of injury? If there was, it may have been attacked by another animal, harmed in a hunt or hunters could have used a new technique instead of using guns. Who knows.
Edme1 wrote:I hope it was a natural cause, such as a disease or wild predator. Hopefully we don't see too many more reports of unknown wolf deaths.
Won't know 'till the autopsy reaches the news. Until then, the canine's death shall remain a mystery. Though no wolves were killed en masse/of mass 'diseases' that could spread to other wolves, it's still a blow to this fragile population.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Waxing_Moon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:09 am
Gender: Female
Location: In the closet

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by Waxing_Moon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:08 pm

I did a bit of research and found the area were the wolf was found dead. It is a fairly secluded wilderness area with virtually no roads, so I have my hopes up and fingers crossed the a human didn't kill it. Not that I want the wolf to be dead even if it is naturally causes. x3

http://a-place-for-my-drawing.tumblr.co ... 8942843412

The lake that you see to the east is Big Lake. The southern part of the lake has a few camp grounds, but the northern side is fairly unpopulated. I believe the wolf found in this forest was one of the early ones, but later one were found closer to the lake.

~Kaza

Avatar by Thandi

User avatar
Alfachick13
Pup
Pup
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:49 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Mars! jk Illinois, USA

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by Alfachick13 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:48 pm

I think it is super sad the the wolf died but it s a good thing beacouse it told scientists to do something about it and how the numbers have been rising is phonamimal but i hope that wolf died of natrual causes not human
No matter how hard you try you can still fail but the real message is to not give up but to learn from your mistakes.
-Luna

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12998
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by Koa » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Waxing_Moon wrote:I did a bit of research and found the area were the wolf was found dead. It is a fairly secluded wilderness area with virtually no roads, so I have my hopes up and fingers crossed the a human didn't kill it. Not that I want the wolf to be dead even if it is naturally causes. x3

http://a-place-for-my-drawing.tumblr.co ... 8942843412

The lake that you see to the east is Big Lake. The southern part of the lake has a few camp grounds, but the northern side is fairly unpopulated. I believe the wolf found in this forest was one of the early ones, but later one were found closer to the lake.

~Kaza

Thanks for that, Kaza! I doubt someone would really go "great lengths" to kill a wolf that is situated in said area, but it hasn't really stopped others in the past, I'm afraid.
Alfachick13 wrote:I think it is super sad the the wolf died but it s a good thing beacouse it told scientists to do something about it and how the numbers have been rising is phonamimal but i hope that wolf died of natrual causes not human
The Mexican gray wolf population has been 'in question'/"low" for a very long time... the gene pool is very limited and thus allows issues with inbreeding.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
Alfachick13
Pup
Pup
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:49 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Mars! jk Illinois, USA

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by Alfachick13 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks for that bit of information kao and kaza and Waxing_Moon i am now relieved that the wolf had small chances of dieing beacouse of human i am sad that it died but if humans were the cause i would be mad at the human race for destroying these creatures we have killed enough animals to extinction lest hope the killing of inocent creatures will stop like with sharks and whales
No matter how hard you try you can still fail but the real message is to not give up but to learn from your mistakes.
-Luna

celawolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:29 am
Name: Madi
Gender: Female

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by celawolf » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:34 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cry:
celawolf

User avatar
valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 3491
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 am
Name: Rowan
Gender: Male
Location: southern icefields

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by valkea » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:40 pm

celawolf wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cry:
Please make sure to have at least three words (not including smilies) in your posts, so they aren't considered SPAM.
Additionally, do not type your posts all in caps, as this can also be considered spam.
Thanks ^^
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

_____________________

avatar - lupinzpack

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by _Denali_ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:19 pm

That's horrible! I feel so bad for that poor wolf. :cry:

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12998
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Location: washington, d.c.
Contact:

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by Koa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:42 pm

_Denali_ wrote:That's horrible! I feel so bad for that poor wolf. :cry:
It stinks, but the most we can do for Mexican gray wolves right now is stop fawning over the gray wolves in America that don't need any help whatsoever and directing our attention to these guys.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
_Denali_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am
Location: Moved to the account named Skydust

Re: "Mexican Gray Wolf found dead in Arizona"

Post by _Denali_ » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Koa wrote:
_Denali_ wrote:That's horrible! I feel so bad for that poor wolf. :cry:
It stinks, but the most we can do for Mexican gray wolves right now is stop fawning over the gray wolves in America that don't need any help whatsoever and directing our attention to these guys.
True. Although I still feel that all wolves need our help.

Post Reply

Return to “Wolf Conservation”