WolfQuest Update

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Re: WolfQuest Update

Post by Windstrider » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Tapir wrote:
Silvy_Courage wrote:
Gargantor wrote:I know it is a stupid idea, but.... isnt there anyone out there who is a programmer and a developer who would gladly help to -maybe slowly- but keep developing the game? There are many games out there that are developed by individuals as a project. Maybe you could ask people who want to or have to do similar project for... I dont know... their school? They could be credited as well in the end...
That's not a stupid idea at all. If we want to keep the game running, then we have to do everything we can. Suppose we could try and make that idea work?
Where would you find the programmer, though?
If you wanted to develop the game more you would need artists also?
How would you find them?
Usually a professional programmer or artist would want money for the jobs that you ask them to do, could you pay?
I know I'm not technically "professional", but I love art and wolves, and I also have lots of free time. I'd be willing to volunteer whenever I can! In fact, I just got some new art software that I could use. If you'd like, I can make and upload some once I install the software. (if no, that's fine, but I think it would be great just to help)

Tapir
Pup
Pup

Post by Tapir » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Skydust wrote:
Tapir wrote:
Silvy_Courage wrote:
How would you find them?
Usually a professional programmer or artist would want money for the jobs that you ask them to do, could you pay?
I know I'm not technically "professional", but I love art and wolves, and I also have lots of free time. I'd be willing to volunteer whenever I can! In fact, I just got some new art software that I could use. If you'd like, I can make and upload some once I install the software. (if no, that's fine, but I think it would be great just to help)
Well I mean, that could work. My dad is a professional artist too and knows quite a bit about programming, so you know. I bet we could work something out. ^^

BEllis
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by BEllis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:04 pm

I really don't like the idea of the lexicon chat coming down. I frankly find the phrase chat too annoying to work with and the non chat is just silly, one of the features of multiplayer being communication after all. I am aspiring to be a writer and the people i meet on multiplayer give me so many amazing story ideas its unbelievable. I'd hate to see the lexicon chat go.
However I thank you for the update and the good times i have had on wolfquest. The removal of the lexicon chat however would most likely force me to stop playing.

Silvy_Courage
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Silvy_Courage » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:07 pm

BEllis wrote:I really don't like the idea of the lexicon chat coming down. I frankly find the phrase chat too annoying to work with and the non chat is just silly, one of the features of multiplayer being communication after all. I am aspiring to be a writer and the people i meet on multiplayer give me so many amazing story ideas its unbelievable. I'd hate to see the lexicon chat go.
However I thank you for the update and the good times i have had on wolfquest. The removal of the lexicon chat however would most likely force me to stop playing.
We would do our best to keep it, but if we have to, we are going to have to take it down. But I don't see why people would stop playing it - I prefer no chat lexicon at all. It's more realistic.

Starz10

Post by Starz10 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Im going to miss the chat lexion! I suppose good things don't last forever.... so therefore if this is helping WQ go on then I won't hesitate on wanting you to proceed.

SpiritOfTruth
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by SpiritOfTruth » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:21 pm

BEllis wrote:I am aspiring to be a writer and the people i meet on multiplayer give me so many amazing story ideas its unbelievable. I'd hate to see the lexicon chat go. However I thank you for the update and the good times i have had on wolfquest. The removal of the lexicon chat however would most likely force me to stop playing.
It is sad to see you quit due to the free chat being shut down. However, The forums will still be up, And you can get story ideas from there.

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm not going to miss lexicon chat... I never use it but i'm really wanting a new version to come out. I like the forums most though writing stories reading chatting i love it so just keep the forum up

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Windstrider » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Well I mean, that could work. My dad is a professional artist too and knows quite a bit about programming, so you know. I bet we could work something out. ^^
Cool! I just have to see if I'm up to it, and double-check with my parents. But maybe we should make a topic or discuss this through PM? (sorry, I don't want to go off-topic LOL) :)

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:24 pm

• It seems that many people are still quite attached to this project. In light of this, I may create a topic where advocates of WolfQuest can discuss and propose ways of keeping the goals of this project active, even after its eventual demise.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Windstrider » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Tonbei wrote:
  • It seems that many people are still quite attached to this project. In light of this, I may create a topic where advocates of WolfQuest can discuss and propose ways of keeping the goals of this project active, even after its eventual demise.
Good idea Tonbei!

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:13 am

• Here is the link to the topic WolfQuest: What You Can Do Beyond the Community http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70297.

And thanks again Cana for yet another post of useful information. This puts my mind at ease some more in terms of the future of the community :D .

thelostwolf12345
Pup
Pup
Name: Scruff

Post by thelostwolf12345 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:58 am

if the fundings stop for good would that mean...

no more wolfquest?

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:25 am

It's not necessarily the end for WolfQuest; the website and forum will still be online. ^^
WQ Coordinator wrote:Because of generous donations, store purchases, and forum ad revenue, we are able to continue to keep all facets of the game and Community Forums running much longer than expected.

Lexicon chat for multiplayer games will end up being removed at some point in the future, leaving phrased and disabled chat as the only accessible options. Unless there is funding available for the project to resume, it is unlikely any future episodes can or will continue to be developed.

wolfbeat
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfbeat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 pm

No more Lexicon? How sad is that? <:(

Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter

Post by Gargantor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Tapir wrote:
Silvy_Courage wrote:
Gargantor wrote:I know it is a stupid idea, but.... isnt there anyone out there who is a programmer and a developer who would gladly help to -maybe slowly- but keep developing the game? There are many games out there that are developed by individuals as a project. Maybe you could ask people who want to or have to do similar project for... I dont know... their school? They could be credited as well in the end...
That's not a stupid idea at all. If we want to keep the game running, then we have to do everything we can. Suppose we could try and make that idea work?
How would you find them?
I know I am slightly late with my reply, but could only now visit the website. Well yes, it might not be easy, but I was thinking about FeralHeart or Arokai when I was writing this. Those are developed without using funding, of course they do cost money to develop, but not funding, as far as I know, the developers do this from their own resources. I am also seeing games developed as an important school project, or simply because they want to do something, test their skills. Maybe WQ could open such positions, and open the game resources for projects. Of course only one at a time. And implement the changes once they are tested, and credit the voluntary developer and artist.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”