WolfQuest Update

Archived news, updates and announcements.
Ratlover4194
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Location: *Everyone collectively groans at Spot's pile of 6.5 billion characters*

Re: WolfQuest Update

Post by Ratlover4194 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:32 pm

This is too bad. I think WolfQuest really did make a big impact in my life. I was a big supporter of wolves and had ideas for wildlife RP games even before WQ, but I think this game has strengthened my passions even more. It's sad to see it going down like this, but it was always inevitable. It's pretty impressive you guys got this far. Great job and a pat on the backs to everyone involved. :,)
Skydust wrote:
Tapir wrote:
Gargantor wrote:I know it is a stupid idea, but.... isnt there anyone out there who is a programmer and a developer who would gladly help to -maybe slowly- but keep developing the game? There are many games out there that are developed by individuals as a project. Maybe you could ask people who want to or have to do similar project for... I dont know... their school? They could be credited as well in the end...
Where would you find the programmer, though?
If you wanted to develop the game more you would need artists also?
How would you find them?
Usually a professional programmer or artist would want money for the jobs that you ask them to do, could you pay?
I know I'm not technically "professional", but I love art and wolves, and I also have lots of free time. I'd be willing to volunteer whenever I can! In fact, I just got some new art software that I could use. If you'd like, I can make and upload some once I install the software. (if no, that's fine, but I think it would be great just to help)
You know, I've been thinking about this same thing for quite a while now. I'm a computer graphics and animation college student and hope to go into the gaming industry eventually, and a really high-quality, immersive wolf simulation has always been my biggest aspiration (waaaay before WQ came along... :-P). It might be interesting to help out in this game, even if just to get my feet wet and learn more about the process.

The one thing I really hope for is that this forum remains active. I have made some friends and would hate to lose contact with them (but I'm not about to give everyone my email address...). Anyway... thanks for the update, Cana, and hopefully, we'll see WolfQuest up for a long time to come.

maverick10001
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

new wolfquest what would you like to see?

Post by maverick10001 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:16 pm

hi everyone i know there is not going to be another wolfquest (serriously annoying :cry:) but if there was what would people like to see?
if it was me i would like to see ;

your pups grow up and become part of your pack on single player.
that you can be able to adopt dispersal wolves to your pack also on single player i would like to be able to take over a pack.

please reply and tell me what you think of my thoughts
cheers 8)

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Re: new wolfquest what would you like to see?

Post by Alpha Female » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:22 pm

maverick10001 wrote:hi everyone i know there is not going to be another wolfquest (serriously annoying :cry:) but if there was what would people like to see?
if it was me i would like to see ;

your pups grow up and become part of your pack on single player.
that you can be able to adopt dispersal wolves to your pack also on single player i would like to be able to take over a pack.

please reply and tell me what you think of my thoughts
cheers 8)
Please stay on topic maverick10001, as we are not accepting ideas since there won't be any future episodes. Thanks! ^^

Pelican
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Space

Post by Pelican » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Lexicon?

Going... to... be... removed?

This is one of my worst nightmares... But WQ itself being completely shut down would be worse... still, though. I think I'd rather have a gash on my forehead :/

I love WolfQuest, I love roleplaying on it even more. Now, that won't be possible. But it's not just me with the problem... Glad I'm not alone but I'm still not in a good mood.

And, no new future episodes of WQ? All those suggestions for nothing... Now I know how Hawkbit felt in the TV series of Watership Down when he said, "we've come all this way, all this way... for nothing!". I still have Scratch, I guess, but only three of my friends from WQ go on it... (calling them by their names in roleplay: Shade, Nine, Elk)

I think I'm going to be paranoid now.
And if it really is months to wait, I'll be paranoid FOR MONTHS.

I hate being paranoid... sigh... oh well.

Too bad Feral-Heart's registration is still closed. I could RP with my wq friends (one of them ,at least) on there if it wasn't. Not trying to rant, (& sorry, got a bit off topic) but honestly, all those players on WQ, thousands of them, playing WQ for not so long or so long, all of those times roleplaying, all those suggestions, all of the lexicon word suggestions, almost everything having to do with future episodes and the lexicon... For nothing.
I know WQ is (apparently) low on funding, but that's not going to change my mind or my mood right now. Though, it does cross my mind that, if enough people from the forums & game did donate, WQ might be aple to keep the lexicon going. (Wait... did I read that first post right? Were they only removing lexicon, or...?) Eh, sorry for... rambling... and getting slightly off topic... not sure if this would be considered a rant... meh I'm going back to the game so I can RP and enjoy the lexicon while I can. Bye!

EDIT: also you say you would need funding for an episode 3 but you say you aren't accepting donations for WQ, as someone pointed out to me in MP: "you're contradicting yourselves". No offense.

Alpha Female
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Alpha Female » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 pm

The WolfQuest game and community have been running off of donations, ad revenue and grants for quite a while, reason why Slough Creek could be made. Let's not forget the entire purpose of WQ is not for multiplayer, instead it's for teaching people around the world more about how wolves live and I do believe all of this was not for nothing. The lexicon is still up as of now, and words are still being suggested and added once a month. It did take quite a sum of money to create Slough Creek, and unfortunately even if we all donated we still need money to pay staff and keep the forums up, as well as create the new game and fix any bugs that occur.

So while you may not agree with the eventual removal of the lexicon, let's try not to forget the sole purpose for WQ in the first place.

rueven wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by rueven wolf » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:51 am

I do not think lexicon chat should be taken off. A LOT of people are upset about this. Phrase chat is to hard to chat on and rarely anyone uses it. Its usually only new people that have never played this game, use the phrase chat. I think it is very unnecessary to take it off. Please do not take off lexicon chat. People are happy with it right now and people are happy with the way it is. Please reconsider taking the lexicon chat. Thanks! I hope you don't take it off.

101Nicole
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by 101Nicole » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Hello,

MOM of user here. OK, I see that this game will be around to play but that the chat lexicon will go away as well as updates. My daughter believes that these are critical and are a deal breaker for her in terms of her desire to play the game.

I have been a community organizer for the past year and have been a part of kick starter campaigns that have collectively raised over $100,000.00. Further, my husband works at a major telecommunications carrier and sells rack space in data warehouse servers so I know that it is not that expensive. With over 500,000 users, it seems that if you WANT to keep these features running that it would be relatively easy to raise not only the money to do that but money for the zoo and your staff/developers as well.

As a parent, I am willing to volunteer to help make this happen. The way I see it this type of engagement is better for the kids than fantasy games that have no relevance to the outer world. At a time when these kids are being faced with climate changes that will be up to their generation to mitigate I think connecting with wildlife is critical.

Let me know IF there is interest. It seems it would be relatively easy to start a kick starter campaign. We would just need to know HOW much you need and if you will do it if that number is reached. Let me know if you would like me to help to facilitate competitive quotes in a data warehouse. I can do that to. Please reach out to me directly.

Regards,
MOM of user

email via: -email removed-

Edit I should also mention... I think it would be wise if you were able to take the money from a kick starter campaign and keep the multi-player function and lexicon feature available that you then also require paid subscriptions.

I would be willing to pay $5.00 per month for our family. Imagine if only 10% of your users were willing to pay $5.00 per year that would be $250,000 per year!

I understand the purpose of WQ and I think you should know that it is working!!! The social component of chat is part of what draws the kids in. Considering how difficult it is to keep kids engaged with science at all I'd say it is a win/win!
Last edited by Neamara on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please avoid posting personal contact details + Added information from double-post.

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:20 pm

Please avoid double-posting in the future, 101Nicole; doing so is regarded as a form of SPAM. For information, please refer to the Forum Guidelines. Additionally, I have removed the e-mail address you provided due to privacy concerns.

WolfQuest has been funded by national grants over the past five years, and was intended as a free game; the project has lasted far longer than was originally anticipated and it's been a good run while it's lasted. Unfortunately, the feature that allowed members to donate money has been removed following this news post and a FAQ article (http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34808) suggests contacting WQ Coordinator to discuss funding propositions, though the said article is subject to change in future following this news. It's possible that ad revenue may continue to help with the site's upkeep/payment, but I cannot say for sure.

The website (and forums respectively) will still be up for a while yet, so there's no need to worry about it disappearing in the immediate future; however, it's not known when the lexicon will be disabled.

sasha89936
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by sasha89936 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Lexicon taken away? Oh NONONONONONO!!!!!!! If that happens I'll have to find another roleplay site :( Well I better get started looking for a new one...

Fireflye
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Location: Spinning around...and around...and around...and around...your head. :)

Post by Fireflye » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Wow, I can't believe how long wolfquest has been going around. I wish we had more funds, I was hoping to play another episode. I sure will miss this place once its gone... :cry:

haleyrocks
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by haleyrocks » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:34 pm

It's really sad to see the lexicon chat go in a few months... I have close friends on here i wouldn't be able to talk to anymore... take something else away anything but the lexicon chat.

Unlucky 13
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Unlucky 13 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:42 pm

haleyrocks wrote:It's really sad to see the lexicon chat go in a few months... I have close friends on here i wouldn't be able to talk to anymore... take something else away anything but the lexicon chat.
You can always talk to your close friends through PM here on the forums. Also, I don't believe there is anything else that could be taken away in replacement for the lexicon chat.
Fireflye wrote:Wow, I can't believe how long wolfquest has been going around. I wish we had more funds, I was hoping to play another episode. I sure will miss this place once its gone... :cry:
It will be quite a while until the actual forums are gone, and the actual game will probably be able to download, but maybe just Single Player.
sasha89936 wrote:Lexicon taken away? Oh NONONONONONO!!!!!!! If that happens I'll have to find another roleplay site :( Well I better get started looking for a new one...
As Cana (WQ Coordinator) stated on the front post, phrased chat will still be an option, as well as no chat. You don't necessarily need to be able to chat in order to run a good multiplayer chat, there are still a few other activities that can be done [such as hunting, hanging around the bunny bush] etc.

haleyrocks
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by haleyrocks » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 pm

What if you took away the forums instead of the lexicon chat. I can live without the forums and i bet everyone else could to. Also I can still hang out and rp with my friends. Even pm them... It could work i think... Just trying to make suggestions.

Nordue

Post by Nordue » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 pm

• To put it in simple terms, to keep the Lexicon running requires funding that WQ no longer has. Keeping the forums open however is a more realistic goal with the money that is still available as well as the remaining WolfQuest staff and team members. Not to mention the value of the forums as an educational source for wolf information. Your suggestion is valid haleyrocks, just not attainable with the current situation.

NoLimits
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by NoLimits » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:09 am

It's sad that WQ will be running out of funding, though i suppose deep down, we all know it had to happen sooner or later.
All good and great things must come to an end, but I'll try to be pleased about the experience I had instead of upset that I won't experience it again. Once it's gone, it will have run it's course and followed the pattern of enjoyable things.

It's a start, it's an adventure, and to all adventures there must come an end.

Return to “News and Announcements Archive”