The Story So Far

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

The Story So Far

Post by loboLoco » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:38 pm

[youtube]zkektNEL3Ro[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/zkektNEL3Ro

A year ago, we announced WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition, with great optimism that we’d release it by the end of that year. So where are we now? Well, here’s the story:

Interest in and support for WolfQuest 2.7 (the first paid version of the game)was much greater than we ever imagined, so by late 2016, we felt confident that this wasn’t a flash in the pan and decided to start work on an all-new map and episode, taking the story of the pack forward through summer and fall. Our science advisor Dr. Dan MacNulty recommended setting this new episode in the Tower Fall / Yellowstone River region, so we dubbed the new episode “Tower Fall” and dove into development. We already knew that a new episode would require a completely new codebase in order to develop the kinds of sophisticated animal behaviors and gameplay that players expect and deserve these days. So our Unity developer Tommi Horttana spent winter and spring on that, while we also started working on the new environments and animals that would populate the new episode.

But by summer of 2017, we couldn’t ignore the many problems with adding this all-new, vastly improved episode onto the existing game, with its decade-old code and game systems. So we decided to shift focus and remake the original game so we had a solid new foundation for the entire game and future episodes. When we hatched this plan that summer, we intended to keep the scope modest and simply remake the existing game features and systems with the new codebase. But of course, that meant devoting months of time and energy to recreating 2007-era game designs. Did we really want to do that — even if it would let us get this remake done and released fairly quickly?

As we reviewed each system in the game, we had ideas to redesign them in much bigger and better ways. More naturalistic scent systems! Animals that persist throughout each episode! Bigger herds of elk, with more realistic and exciting herding behaviors! More accurate and exciting hunting and attack mechanics! Cleverer competitors! Vastly bigger maps! More realistic vegetation! Dynamic day/night cycle! New music with an adaptive music system! Mates and pups with personalities! Better fur! Sophisticated genetics system! And what the heck, let’s add some more animals too!

Well, you don’t need to guess what happened then. Each new feature has taken longer than our everlastingly optimistic plans anticipated. Just as we learned ten years ago with the first version, in a 3D world it’s very easy to break the illusion of reality, and by cranking up the realism of our eco-simulation, we’re also cranking up how easy it is to break that illusion, and how much work it takes to maintain it.

So here we are a year after announcing the remake, chugging along with a full head of steam and all hands on deck. Earlier this year we brought three more Unity developers onboard to work solely on WolfQuest, and they’ve helped us make enormous progress. We’ve built all the main game systems and most of the secondary systems. Multiplayer should be in good shape next month. I couldn’t be more excited about what we’ve been able to produce. I don’t think there will be any game like it out there!

But alas, we still have an awful lot still to do, and we don’t see a way to complete the entire game and release it by the end of this year. Those of you who’ve been around since the early days can’t be blamed for thinking I’d have learned my lesson by now. And perhaps I should never share out loud my eternally optimistic release targets. So yes, we have revised our goal, once again.

Now we’re aiming to release Amethyst Mountain (the first level/map) before the end of the year on PC/Mac platforms (Steam and Itch.io). It should be in good shape although not completely done, so we’ll likely call it “Early Access” or something like that for awhile. We’ll then focus on Slough Creek with the goal of releasing it in early 2019, and then finish the mobile versions — it’ll take quite a lot of work to get this massively larger game to run on the widest range of mobile devices as possible. And then we’ll get back to Tower Fall, aiming to release it….well, I guess I’d better not make any predictions.

We’ll continue to make these weekly blog posts and videos. We hope they provide a bit of entertainment while you wait and a peek into to the joys and pains of indie game development.….including the challenges of release date predictions.

Note: Our beautiful new WolfQuest game icon was created by longtime player and forum moderator Juliet Manolias (Sambhur).

See all our development videos! We’ve organized them by category here: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=84491
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Re: The Story So Far

Post by Jeames » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:45 pm

The fact you guys are so excited about working on the game, and trying to make it better, just makes everything better. :'D
Sure, you could rush the game and bring it out early, but the more time you take on something, the better it becomes.

Take your time, because we all know you guys are doing your very best to give us the best game experience ever! :'D

IceaPlayzPC
Name: Icea or Emile

Post by IceaPlayzPC » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 pm

I simply ADORE all of the work you have done on the game so far, and i am super excited for the amethyst mountain update! I was perfectly ok with the game taking longer than usual but i'm satisfied that i get to try out a bit of the new game later this year... and for free!

DEFINITELY take your time guys, the game taking longer to develop means that it'll be better <3

Also, the ending is glorious. I relate to it so much!

wolf8484
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf8484 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Take your time, Team!! I’m so excited for this game and I’m very grateful we can play Amethyst Mountain later this year at least! Thank you so much for all your hard work and dedication. I’m amazed by all the changes I am seeing being made to this game. It’s so different from when I saw the trailer and played 2.0 (or I think it was 2.5, don’t remember lol!). Again thank you so much, this game will be one I will always come back to no matter how old it gets.
I have a question: Early access on Steam doesn’t just let any player play most times I’ve seen. But will you guys let it be available for everyone? I think the latter but “early access” just kinda confused me.
Also, may I just add that I love that lay animation. Except the part when the wolf becomes one with the ground. Haha, thanks for all the videos.

Black Burn
Name: BB for short

Post by Black Burn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:13 pm

This is the best news! I don't even know what to say other then the entire WolfQuest team is amazing!! Its so awesome that you guys are going to put in the extra time and effort to make WolfQuest3 available on mobile devices! I myself don't have a computer, so thank you all so much!!

Thank you for everything you've all put into this game WolfQuest Team! It certainly will be the best out there!

AmberZeWolf
Yearling
Yearling

Post by AmberZeWolf » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Take all of the time you need! It'll make a much better game than any other animal simulator, I am positive of that.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Your love and passion for WolfQuest shows. I have complete faith you (and everyone at Eduweb) will make WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition one of the most realistic and beautiful animal simulations games out there.

Fifteen
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Fifteen » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:53 pm

The amount of effort and passion you guys put into this game is awesome !! Seeing the people working on it having fun with their jobs is honestly so brilliant and it makes me happy as a player to know that the development team and such are happy too ♥
The effort you guys put into this is really gonna show, I can promise you that. This version isn't even out for the public to experience yet but I can already feel the love the team is putting into this project!

Bushmeat
Pup
Pup

Post by Bushmeat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Tell me- did EduWeb, makers of modest educational games, ever expect their little wolf simulator to become by and large their most famous and successful endeavor, far outlasting its humble grant-funded beginnings? Hah!

Imagine if you became known as the team behind Putt the Planets, and were hastily working on all new putt mechanics for PtP3: Black Hole Sandpit edition, because the fans were clamoring for more mini-golf action!

---

Thanks for keeping us updated as always! Though I'm sure the ever-idealistic (some might say... unrealistic) optimism can be a bit frustrating when you have to push release dates back, I think it's also a large part of what's kept WolfQuest alive all this time- after all, who really believed 2.7 was going to be released, back when WolfQuest was preparing to shut down?

When it comes out, whenever that may be, I'll be here! We all appreciate all the care that's gone into this game :)

Midnight2477
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Adrian

Post by Midnight2477 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Don't be upset! The amount it is taking just tells us it will be worth while! We are all very thrilled and will be as patient as you need us to be! :D :wolf: :wolf: :wolf:

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:37 pm

To be honest, I kind of expected the release date projection to be pushed further into next year. I don't mean to say it as a bad thing, though. The time and effort put into this game really shows, and it's not even finished! I'd prefer a quality game over a rushed product any day, and clearly the team was driven toward quality as opposed to a quick redo. Whether the full game comes out in 2019, or 2020, I'll stand by for all future episodes to come. I simply adore this game and the community behind it. It's been such a pleasure to follow the journey of the team's development thus far.

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:43 pm

As I’ve said in many other blog posts, I can deal with 2019. Now I’m wishing the computer I had WolfQuest on didn’t fry....

I have WolfQuest on my iPad now. And it’s seems as if mobile will come last. I’ll just have to be even more patient. I’m trying my best, but I don’t know how much long I can wait before I scream really loud because I’m so impatient. Your work is amazing. And I’m pretty sure I can wait until early 2019.

Keep it up, my fellow Wolf lovers. :wolf:

DispersedHowl100
Pup
Pup
Name: Frost

Post by DispersedHowl100 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:17 pm

Wow! I'm so exited for WQ!!! I love Wolf Quest soooo much! But personally dont you think it would would be easier to make Tower Fall map before mobile support? Well Im not one of the makers of the game so i dont know if it WOULD be better. Well I love WQ! <3 :wolf:

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:57 pm

DispersedHowl100 wrote:dont you think it would would be easier to make Tower Fall map before mobile support?
It certainly would be easier! But about half of our players are on mobile, so we definitely need to take care of them before getting back into Tower Fall. (But we'll be able to work on those simultaneously, as TF is mostly Tommi and the other programmers, and mobile is mostly me trying to squeeze the graphics down into a handheld device.)

wolf8484 wrote: I have a question: Early access on Steam doesn’t just let any player play most times I’ve seen. But will you guys let it be available for everyone?
Yes, anyone who purchased the game on Steam or itch.io (via WolfQuest.org) can get it -- it'll just be a second game that you can download.

Bushmeat wrote:Tell me- did EduWeb, makers of modest educational games, ever expect their little wolf simulator to become by and large their most famous and successful endeavor, far outlasting its humble grant-funded beginnings?
I'm glad nobody offered to bet me about that in 2006 or I'd have lost a chunk of change.
Bushmeat wrote: Imagine if you became known as the team behind Putt the Planets, and were hastily working on all new putt mechanics for PtP3: Black Hole Sandpit edition, because the fans were clamoring for more mini-golf action!
Hey, don't count Putt the Planets out yet! Gonna get back to that just as soon as we've caught up on WolfQuest stuff....
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

wolf8484
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf8484 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes, anyone who purchased the game on Steam or itch.io (via WolfQuest.org) can get it -- it'll just be a second game that you can download.
Okay, thank you Dave. Just making sure :D